Monday, January 14, 2008

Perfect in Christ

What is a "perfect" Christian? The word perfect does NOT mean sinless.
It DOES mean 'mature? So how do I recognize maturity in myself?
I am going to give the texts with very little commentary
because I think GOD has said it quite clearly and He does not requie
a great deal of elaboration by me. So here are some signs that
I am mature or at least maturing:
1.
Forgetting the past reaching for the future:
Philippians 3:13-15
"Let us therefore,
as many of us as be perfect, be thus minded...
forgetting those things which are behind,
and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
I press toward the mark for the prize
of the high calling of GOD in CHRIST JESUS.'
2.
Carnality - envy, strife, division = NO unity:
1 Corinthians 3:1-3
"And I brethren could not speak unto you as spiritual,
but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in CHRIST..."
"...for you are yet carnal: for whereas
there is among you envying, strife, and divisions
are you not carnal, and walk as men?"
3.
knowing the Father intimately:
1 John 2:12-14
"I write unto you little children..."
"I write unto young men..."
"I write unto you fathers because you have
known
the Father... because you have
known Him that is from the beginning."
the 'know' is an intimate knowledge NOT an academic knowledge;
[a topic for another time].
4.
being spiritual - living in the Spirit NOT under law = love:
Galatians 5:22
"The fruit of the SPIRIT is love, joy peace, longsuffering,
gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance,
against such there is no law."
5.
the "body" characterized by unity, eddification of one another, love, truth:
Ephesians 4:14-16
"That we henceforth (from here on) be no more children..."
but speaking the truth in love may grow up into Him in all things...
makes increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love."
(note "all things", in verse 15/16)
It would be appropriate to summerize these scriptures by saying intimacy with the Father brings walking in the Spirit which results in unconditional love thus breaking down the walls of division and bringing unity and edification to the body of Christ - the church.

No comments: